Monday, March 12, 2012

Freedom

For me to say that today has been a great day would be a pretty extreme understatement. First I would really love for everyone to take a look at this website, its where all of this is happening, and gives some information behind the wonderful team that is making this such a great experience.

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/research/institutes-and-programs/cdt

I think that by now we all know how anxious and excited I have been for today, but having my dad with me and being welcomed by a team of doctors and nurses that were smiling and happy and friendly even though it was only 7am and they had all been up for hours was so much of a comfort that any of my anxieties disappeared pretty much immediately. Pretty much right away there was what I can best describe as a well organized tornado of all the members of the trial team surrounding me and getting me hooked up to all the right equipment, including my IVs. And just like that, it began. And my diabetes was out of my hands and under the control of the computer. The basic setup has me wearing a fanny pack full of receivers hooked to a long series of wires that are attached to a computer that's attached to a rolling table. Basically if I need to get out of bed for anything I need to have a technician follow me with the wires and the table, but honestly I don't mind. I don't mind because being tethered to that set of wires and that computer have given me the more freedom than I've had in years. I usually check my sugar 8 to 10 times a day, every day, and with each check I need to make a decision about what is best for my body. But today, technology reigns supreme right now and I haven't had to think about a thing and it has been awesome! The computer has me all figured out and I feel great. I have to have blood drawn from my IV every 15 or 30 minutes, which I can't really say is fun but I've got great nurses so I'm getting by. It's been a day full of relaxing and watching tv and napping, which is exactly what I want to be doing on my spring break. I think I'll sleep well tonight for the first time in a while because I know I'm in such good hands here, and I won't have to worry about my sugars one bit overnight. And my unicorn pillow pet will probably help too.

No comments:

Post a Comment